RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

UKRAINE ENGLISH NEWS TWITTER
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Furl  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of UKRAINE ENGLISH NEWS on your social bookmarking website

December 2016
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 31 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 2 Bots

Odessite

Most users ever online was 229 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:03 pm

Past experience suggests Syrian refugees will enrich Canada

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Past experience suggests Syrian refugees will enrich Canada

Post by Admin on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:04 pm

A recent poll by the Angus Reid Institute suggests almost a third of Canadians oppose the admission of Syrian refugees. No surprise there. It was my experience that new immigrants are not always welcome and are often even resented.

That was certainly the case when I arrived in Canada 65 years ago in the first wave of immigrants following the turmoil in Europe after the end of the Second World War. We were the DPs, displaced persons, a term often preceded by a swear word.

If I were to offer advice to those about to arrive, I would say: Just be patient. Canadians eventually come around. Yesterday's outsiders become part of the mainstream. They start successful businesses. Some even rise to join the elites — and then give back to Canada through generous charitable projects.

If I were to counsel Canadians who are wary of receiving today's refugees, I'd tell them: Let's not kid ourselves. Canada needs them. In fact, we have always needed refugees.

This country was built — and changed for the better — by refugees. This was true nearly two centuries ago, when Ireland's potato famine and land clearances in the Scottish Highlands forced more than a million people to our shores. Like the Syrians today, many died from ships sinking, disease and starvation along the way.

You might argue that right now, with the Canadian economy in the doldrums and unemployment at seven per cent, we hardly need more people in the labour market...........................

To read further go to this link:   cbc.ca

Admin
Administrator

http://www.ukraineenglishnews.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top